Monday, 24 August 2009

The Girl With The Curls

Well, since NO ONE gave me any requests for film stars about which I should post, I'll just have to come up with my own. So to start with, I bring you Mary Pickford. Born Gladys Marie Smith, Mary was America's first sweetheart, a Silent film Actress (making up to 48 films a year (they were shorter then)), Co-founder of the original United Artists film company (along with her then husband, Douglas Fairbanks, the director D.W. Griffith, and Charlie Chaplin), one of the founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the first actress to have her name in marquee lights. Sadly, I've only ever seen one of her films, and it was a very poorly preserved one.

1915


1819 with Douglas Fairbanks and Charlie Chaplin


1925 with Douglas Fairbanks


1926 film Sparrows


1929 with her Oscar for Coquette


1918 in How Could You, Jean?


'The little girl made me. I wasn't waiting for the little girl to kill me.'


'We were pioneers in a brand-new medium. Everything's fun when you're young.'


Make them laugh, make them cry, and back to laughter. What do people want to go to the theatre for? An emotional exercise . . . I am a servant of the people.
I have never forgotten that.



'Adding sound to movies would be like putting lipstick on the Venus de Milo.'

No comments: