Monday, 10 August 2009

Tea of the Day!

Mango Maui Black Tea ( Hawaiian Islands Tea Co.): 4/5

I myself am surprised at how much I like this tea, especially as I'm not particularly a fan of mangoes in general. Another very strong tea, it has a VERY sweet smell (I know, I need new adjectives), specifically sweet like mangoes, or hot mangoes...I'm assuming that would smell good. Like I said, it's very strong, the black tea comes through in that bitter way it has, but there's a definite burst of sweet mangoeyness on top of it. The sweet flavor kind of makes me think of mango flavored gum. I should try this iced before I run out of it...

Extra: Tea Manufacture
Tea manufacture begins with harvesting. For the best teas, only the first two leaves and buds are plucked, usually by women (they have smaller hands than men). If three or more leaves are picked, the tea will be of lesser quality. Other variables affect the finished product: the time of day and year the leaves are harvested, whether they are plucked and processed by hand or machine, and how they are processed. Four steps may be involved: withering, rolling, oxidation (often called fermentation, although no alcohol results), and firing. During withering, the leaves are laid out on trays so that moisture evaporates. Rolling releases an enzyme that allows oxidation and thus affects flavor. Oxidation in a cool and humid room further changes the color and flavor. Firing in hot pans or chambers halts oxidation and dries out the leaves. Which of these steps are followed, and for how long, determines whether the final product is white, green, oolong, or black tea. After processing, teas are graded by leaf size and appearance.

No comments: