Wednesday, 28 October 2009

The Dead

The Victorians were very familiar with Death- not necessarily more than others, but less than many of us today. One part of Victorian mourning culture was the post-mortem photograph, an image of a loved one in their final days physically above ground. I don't have too many of these, as looking through the websites gets a bit morbid for me.

1870s Postmortem photograph of a little boy's dog


Unknown


Unknown


Unknown


Germany


Unknown


Castleton, Vermont


Butler, Missouri


1855


Unknown


The creepiest I've ever seen are photos in which a parent is holding a child, and the child is not the deceased. However, I have not had it in me to save one of those. Perhaps someday...




Don't forget to check out Monday's post and vote for your favourite Costume!

No comments: