Monday, 9 November 2009

The Importance of Being a Little Girl

As of this morning, I have a shop on Etsy.com! (ok, so I have not yet posted any of my products, but hey- a start is a start!)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/FancyFairieGirl

That's me! :-D I'm starting out with cheap jewelry and inexpensive Fairie Hair! More to come soon!

I'm at a crisis right now in my life. I went off and got this big fancy degree in Medieval Studies, but now have come to the conclusion that it really was a waste of time (despite knowing that I would not trade last year for anything). I have zero desire to be a teacher (though that may very well change, the further away from academia I get), am not sure about museum work, and would just really love to be an archaeologist. Too bad I made a stupid decision my freshman year of college and went in a different direction.

Also, whilst in England I realized just how much I missed being crafty, and came up with all manner of ideas of things I'd like to make and sell! Etsy is the perfect way to get started, but I realized the other night that, in a way, I would like to have my own shop- a place with a front door and a counter and such. I'd like to someday open a boutique for little girls. Sell things like tiaras, jewelry, party dresses- all of the things that make little girls little girls which, I have been noticing, seem to be fading out of our culture.

Did you know that there are thongs for 8 year olds now?

The goal of a little girl should not be to look 'hot', 'sexy', or 'juicy', nor should they be reading CosmoGirl. (And the goal of a mother should not be to dress her daughter as a miniature of herself in order to make herself 'look' and 'feel' more sexy to passers-by.) The goal of a little girl should be to be covered in glitter, (insert argument on how sexist and roleist(?) I'm being here). Yes, lots of girls play sports. Lots of girls play with Ninja Turtles, and lots of girls hate pink! But a lot of little girls just want a pale green party dress with roses that is inexpensive enough that their mothers won't yell at them for climbing trees in. As a society we have finally reached a point where most children have almost two whole decades to be children, rather than performing dangerous adult tasks by the age of five in order to survive. That same society needs to let their children be children, and love them for it.


ps: love and cookies to anyone who can find all of the Eddie Izzard references in my Ren. Faire post.

pps: if there is anyone (whom I know, of course) out there who has their own crafty bits who would like to join me in my new capitalist venture, do contact me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I object to your comments - but only because I am a firm opponent of little girls, or anything for that matter, being covered in glitter. Best of luck with your otherwise-quite-respectable faery hair. :)

-Kevin

Katie B said...

While I support your desire to turn your crafty wonderfulness into a profitable venture, I fear that you would never forgive me (as your resident militant feminist) if I didn't point out how terribly sexist the assertion that what makes little girls little girls is glittery bits and such. :). Perhaps your store could serve all children who like glittery bits regardless of biological sex or socially assigned gender? I mean if you had Glittery Bits for Boys (feel free to use the name lol) then your store would not just be a store, it would be revolutionary! Love ya much and miss you :)

woodlandwalker said...

We should have a meeting with my mom and start making and marketing. There's a big venture here, I feel it. Plus, if you have a store, I'll totally work summers for you. ;)

woodlandwalker said...

Also, the girl in that picture has some MAJOR fuzzy ballet slippers. They look like a muppet attacked a banana and the banana won....sort of.

Whyte Fairy said...

Anonymous: :-P

Katie: If you happen to know off the top of your head what sparkly, floral jewelry and/or clothing items that little boys might enjoy, I welcome your suggestions. I'm not saying that what makes little girls is glitter. What I am saying is that this culture says that what makes girls girls is their ability to use their bodies for gain and approval, which I do not believe should be the message broadcast to them, ESPECIALLY as little girls. Like I said, I recognize that not all little girls enjoy puffy skirts and tea parties. They can get their jeans inexpensively at wal-mart. For those who want inexpensive homemade bracelets and fairy wands, they can get them from me.

Woodlandwalker: Sounds good, and yay! Also, that's Fancy Nancy! She's my hero/inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You've seen Ma Vie En Rose, right dear? I was reminded of how (according to most), Ludovic wanted to be a "girl." However, I think a large part of the problem (aside from our ridiculously rigid biologically assigned gender roles) was the fact that he could only be *either* a "boy" *or* a girl--and that both labels were confined by the limitations of language. The traits that we conceptualize as feminine really have nothing to do with having a vagina or secondary female sex characteristic, nor do the traits we conceptualize as masculine have much to do with a penis or secondary male characteristics.

So...little girls can want to do "masculine" things without being "tomboys" or any less of a "girl; while little boys can want to do "feminine" things without being "mama's boys" or any less of a "boy." In other news, I think the idea for your shop sounds absolutely fabulous, and I am all for the selling of glitter, party dresses, fairy wings, magic wands, and tiaras to any little one one who wishes to frolic in them. :)

Much love,
Dark Fae

Anonymous said...

Also, darling, I'm just now realizing that we all jumped on the sexist/not-sexist argument, and no one really commented much on the "I have this big fancy degree--now what the devil am I supposed to do with it" part of the discussion.

Would you like to talk more later?

~Dark Fae