Monday, 11 January 2010

Vampire Academy Review (sort of)

I'd like to welcome everyone to the newest section of the store, Vampire Romance, formerly known as Young Adult. I like vampire fiction as much as the next guy (I'm even (kind of) writing a vampire novel myself (I promise it wasn't inspired by SM- waaaaaay before that)), but really- getting out of control. ANYWAY. A Fairy made me promise to give Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy a try.

It's an interesting twist on the vampire mythology (which I'm sure everyone would be complaining about endlessly if the series was a little more popular) with two different vampire species- the living and the dead- and the vampire/human hybrids (who don't drink blood) who protect the living ones from the dead ones.

It took me a LONG time to get into the series - really, the only reason I kept going was because I promised I would. It ended up, however, being good enough that I wanted to know what came next, so I read the second book. Same thing. And on to the third- which is where it got good. I won't give away the surprises (the back of the book can do that for you)- and then the fourth one was great. Have you ever had that moment where you're reading and something happens and then YOU MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT OR YOU'LL DIE? That happened about 5 minutes before the end of my break (which made the second half of my workday drag on for EVER). So I took it home and stayed up until 3 am to finish.

Book 5 comes out in May. May is REALLY far away right now.

If you're not sick of vampire fiction yet (or just happen to like that genre a lot), I do recommend it. If you like vampires, you'll probably enjoy it much more than I did much earlier. If you don't like cliffhangers, wait until closer to May to start the series. (I don't know yet if there's a sixth book planned) There is more (much more) sex in it than I (the prude) would prefer to see in a teen book- just so you know.

No comments: