Monday, 29 March 2010

World Wide Women

Yes, most of the photographs I show here are from 'Western' culture. As I've said before, unless the situation REALLY calls for it, I'm working with what I have rather than spending endless hours searching for something in particular (I prefer to spend those endless hours being surprised by what I get from various websites). That being said, there are a vast number of cultures whose women should be remembered as well. Here are some of them:

1917: Kikuyu women from British East Africa
(I also apologize if I butcher any spellings. I'm using the labels that came with the photographs, so if you see any inaccuracies, please do alert me. Thanks!)


Woman from Southern Palestine spinning


1880s: China
(I really like the part in her hair!)


1905-1915: Catholic Armenian women


Czechoslovakia


Ceylon (Sri Lanka): Dancing Girl


1894: Egyptian women on a horse drawn cart


1870s Georgia (no, not THAT Georgia, the other one!):
Kakheti women baking bread


1890 Araucanian/Mapuche women (Chile) weaving


1889 Burmese Princess in court costume

No comments: