Wednesday, 7 April 2010

April is.... Poetry Month!

Dear Guenevere, if you drink soda at noon, you will be falling asleep in your chair by four. *sigh* *sips Jasmine iced tea*

April, as you might have surmised, is Poetry Month! As we all know, my love of poetry is not great. Dubious, you might say. Nevertheless, it is my solemn duty as your faithful bloggist to provide you with seasonally appropriate antique eye candy. (We're going to ignore the fact that I managed to skip both Christmas AND Easter, both completely by accident!) And so, without further ado:, Poets!

1849: Edgar Allan Poe
(I promised you a POEt! ^_^)
(My grandfather is, I believe, named after Poe
(first name Alan, and middle name, I'm pretty certain is Edgar)
- despite the fact that he really doesn't like literature of any kind)



























1860: Elizabeth Barrett Browning with her son, Pen
(Who was gorgeous, and one of the most famous Victorian poets)




















Walt Whitman
(Profoundly abstract statements =/= Poetry)



























1914 Edna St. Vincent Millay
(I love this photograph almost as much as I love Magnolias!)
The first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry!



























T.S. Eliot
(Author of The Wasteland, about which I still do not care)



























1844: Phoebe Cary
An American poet who published with her sister, Alice



























1882: Oscar Wilde!
(I've never actually read anything by him)



























1847: Emily Dickinson
I almost saw where she was buried. Ask me about THAT story sometime.
(Hint: if we threw in a couple of cultists, we'd have a blockbuster hit)




























Henry Wordsworth Longfellow
American Poet

























Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Poet Laureate of the UK
Author of The Idylls of the King



2 comments:

Jill said...

shel silverstein. such a good children's literature poet. i guess i never grew up!

Whyte Fairy said...

I LOVE him! But his books always had a really frightening picture of him on the back cover! *shudder*