Monday, 12 April 2010

Rapunzel,Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair

The museum job requires me to wear a uniform: Bright blue t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Some days, it hurts me to get dressed in the morning. I do what I can- I have sneakers that come in every color of the rainbow, my fun Camden Market hoodie, and as soon as I get around to fixing my button decorated jeans I'll wear those. Since I can't do much with my clothes, I've returned to wearing quite a bit of jewelry on a daily basis, and trying to come up with exciting new things to do with my hair.

When I was in fifth grade, the teacher had a book of World Records in the room. I pored over that thing again and again, but always came back to the same image: the woman with 13 foot long hair. I decided then (despite hacking it all off two years later) that I wanted to break the world record for longest hair. I've subsequently decided that that would be a bit much, but having hair that went to the floor would be great fun, and even if it grew down to my knees, well, that would just be downright spiffing. Sadly, my hair had other ideas and has pretty much not grown since high school. Sigh.

This photo was featured in a book I have. I believe the date they gave (it's still in a box at a location that is not here) was 1903.
I bookmarked the page.


Unknown


Unknown


Lillie Wray
Hair: 5 feet, 6 inches


1880s


Unknown
(She looks a bit like Madame Milo, but I can't confirm that suspicion at this time)


Unknown


Unknown


Unknown


Unknown



1 comment:

woodlandwalker said...

It looks like a Locks for Love confrence exploded on Pre-Raphaelitism. Also, I love that last one. Want. Longer. Hair. Darn genetics or nutrition, whichever is stunting my hairs' growth!