Monday, 9 August 2010

Gloves!

I'm making some! But they're not finished yet. So until they are, you'll just have to make do with this fabulous collection!

Also, I just had a most excellent weekend full of board games, kitty cats, wizard rock, Beatles covers, and two of the most wonderful people I know.

Let us begin with the Beautiful actress Cleo de Merode. I can't tell if she's doing amazing things for those gloves or if those gloves are doing amazing things for her. Either way, something wonderful is happening in this photograph (and, well, most other photographs that feature some combination of her and her gloves). I love her. And her gloves.


Well heck, while we're at it, let's see if we can make this an elbow/opera glove post. Here's another pair from 1893 from the Lasess Female Seminary. She looks so delicate.

Some 1940s Rita Hayworth:

On second thought, it looks like everybody else wearing elbow gloves is famous. So let's intersperse some more little people with little (yet still fantastic) gloves into the mix. Like Mme Emile Straus and her spifftastic gloves! (You may remember her from the bustle post, where she was featured for her spifftastic bustle! Really, she's just a spiffing lady. Perhaps I'll feature her again for her spifftastic use of polka dots!)

The Stunning Miss Jean Harlow, a film star from the 1930s who I've just discovered died tragically young! :(

Gorgeous fingerless lace gloves from the 1850s!

Another photograph that I've already used (two in one post? shame on me!): Queen Alexandra of Great Britain, Queen Louise of Somewhere and the Duchess of Fife in 1893

I have a few photographs featuring this odd feature: One glove on, and one glove off. And I have no idea why. But I do know the when: this one is from 1846. Others are from the same general time period. Strange people, the Victorians.

The lovely Sarah Bernhardt in 1889. Another case of woman/glove mutual GREATness.

And we'll wrap things up with another excellent pair of lacey fingerless gloves, because that's what I'm making. These are from the 1850s as well. It looks as if she had to sacrifice her sleeves for the sake of her gloves and their loveliness. Or something.

No comments: