Wednesday, 5 January 2011

A Girl And Her Dog

Again, I know it's not quite the correct phrase, but according to my collection girls were much more attached to their dogs than their brothers were.

No names or dates attached to it, but I'd bank on some 1920s beach film! I wish I had a dog to drive my private boat around a harbor. Though what she's doing with that fur....thing.... I couldn't begin to say. I hope it wasn't her last driver!


1850s I hope the dog is actually still alive.


July 29, 1951


1860s, England. A mother and daughters on the steps with their dogs. Also hopefully not dead. ^_^


1934 The lighting/deterioration is terrible at this point. But I do love how it looks like the light is shining in through the window that's really a canvas behind the girl.


1885 The bigger your hair, the smaller your dog!


1920s Margaret Reynolds and her Dog. I imagine both subjects know what it means to put in a hard day's work. I very much enjoy the simple clarity of this photograph.


1890s Another dog-cart! Milk-sellers in Brussels, Belgium. PETA would be all over this.


1909. Jaroslav, Anna, and Karel. I can't imagine what the dog's name is! (Though I can probably figure out how they convinced the dog to sit still!)


1912 I told you, the bigger the hair, the smaller the dog. I imagine from the way it's huddled next the the woman with the fur stole, and fur muff, and fur 'fro - he knows he's next...*cue ominous music*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

more cute puppie:) Judgeing by the hair and swimsuit styles I'd also say 1920s. Traditionally, women were often occpanied by a dog, usually a small lap dog (like the Maltse) or a large stately dog with regal bearing (like the Collie); They were ever the reliable compainons. Dee