Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Tea of the Day!

Pu-Ehr Tea: 0/5

If anyone can give a more favorable review of this tea, please please pretty please do!

I got a cup of it at a cafe. I'd heard the name before, and decided to be adventurous. Maybe I let it steep too long, but that generally does not affect the flavor THAT much. It tasted like liquid seaweed. And not in the good way. I could not even finish the cup. Blegh.

Pu-Ehr Tea: Pu-ehr tea originated in China's Yunnan Province; it is named for a market town in the region. It was unknown outside China until the early nineteenth century. Pu-ehr can be made from green or black tea (I had the black kind): it is the special processing and the presence of bacteria (ew. maybe I should have read this before I tried it!) that make this type of tea distinctive. During the withering stage, while the leaves still retain some moisture, they are mounded into piles and allowed to rot slightly, so that the naturally occurring bacteria are preserved. The tea is then aged underground or in caves (I like caves). It may be sold as loose-leaf tea, as a paste, or in compressed tea bricks. The taste may be earthy or musty. Traditionally, it is drunk medicinally or to aid digestion (also would have been good to know. Aren't you glad I'm here to help keep you from making the same bad decisions?). Studies have shown that the green pu-ehr tea Tuo-cha is excellent for diminishing arterial plaque (oooOOOoo!). Although largely consumed in Asia, it has become more popular in the west.
~All About Tea Knowledge Cards

Come along inside...we'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place.
~The Wind in the Willows

No comments: