Thursday, 17 March 2011

Tea of the Day!

Plantation Mint Tea (Bigelow Tea): 3/5

I did enjoy Bigelow's Plantation Mint tea. It is made with black tea and spearmint, which gives it quite an interesting flavor. In fact, after having a cup I was surprised to find out that there is no peppermint in it! (Though the spearmint was quite obvious) Though it was good, I found the the combination of mint and black tea a little strange. I fell like, if I want mint tea (of whatever combination of mints), I just want mint tea, not some strange combination. It makes the mint much weaker though, so I suppose it would be quite good for those who really do not want to be kicked in the teeth by their tea. The addition of the black tea also lends a wee bit of a sourness to it. I definitely recommend it on a lazy afternoon. (Though I would personally go for a Liquorice Mint herbal tea blend)


Tea in the United States: The most famous tea story in American history may be that of the Boston Tea Party, but the United States also produced two other tea phenomena. At the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904, Richard Blechynden, an English tea merchant, was dispensing free samples of Indian tea to promote his product. Since the weather was extremely hot, he literally could not give the tea away. Blechynden added ice to the drink, fairgoers got hooked, and Americans now consume five times as much iced tea as they do hot tea. In 1908, New York tea merchant Thomas Sullivan began sending tea samples to his dealers in silk pouches. These were found to be so convenient for brewing tea that the tea bag was born.
Tea is grown in South Carolina, where the French botanist Andrew Micheaux brought the first tea plants and seeds to Charleston in 1799. Although intermittent attempts to market South Carolina tea failed, it is again sold today - and has been named the states official hospitality beverage by the state legislature. ~All About Tea Knowledge Cards

"With each sip I taste the fire that gives its heat. The water gives its wetness. The leaf that gives its spell." ~ The Minister of Leaves

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like mint tea, though I've never tried spearmint. Have you ever tried a glass of hot sweet black tea with mint leaves in it? Very refreshing on a hot afternoon. Darlene

Whyte Fairy said...

I tend to enjoy spearmint more than peppermint, because it's a bit sweeter. Though my favorite has to be the afforementioned licorice/peppermint/spearmint blend. So yummy! I find the peppermint is much more effective than spearmint at treating headaches though.

Anonymous said...

I like sweet things so I'll have to try the spearmint some time. Maybe, peppermint's medicinal qualities come from its hybrid nature. Darlene