Monday, 7 November 2011

Tea of the Day!

Victorian Rose (Eastern Shore Tea Co.): 4/5

(You can also get it at Wegmans!) I love love love this tea! It is, as it says, a Rose flavored tea. It is black tea, but possibly the first one I have ever had where I actually had to check the label to make sure. I cannot taste the black tea at all, and it does not get enormously strong like most black teas if you leave the bag in for too long (and believe me, I am the expert in leaving the bag in longer than I ought to). It does not turn bitter either if you leave the bag in extra long.

Being, well, Rose, it is very very floral (especially as, as previously stated, I cannot even find the black tea part) - if you like a nice cup of Jasmine tea, you should definitely try this! I cannot say that it tastes like the smell of the fresh roses on my windowsill, but if you have ever worked with dried rose petals, that is what it tastes like (mostly because that's what it is) (it also has both hibiscus and rose hips - neither of which I can taste - apparently rose petals are STRONG. yay!)

The bag recommends drinking it with a cinnamon stick, lemon, or honey (none of which I have tried - all because I never remember to add them until I'm most of the way through the cup, but I'll get there someday). I recommend drinking it (quite a lot), with a sunny afternoon and a jammed scone on a fancy plate!


"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." ~Henry James, Portrait of a Lady

English Afternoon Tea:
Under Queen Victoria, the taking of tea in England assumed the form that the world recognizes today. This genteel, stately ritual evolved for the most prosaic of reasons: Anna, seventh Duchess of Bedford and lady in waiting to the queen, could not make it through the long period between an early breakfast and a late dinner without something to eat. She appeased her hunger with tea and cakes, a fashion that caught on with her peers.

English afternoon tea is serene and formal. The hostess brews black leaf tea (not tea bags) in an elegant pot. For those who take milk, it is poured into delicate china cups before the tea is added. Thin, crustless sandwiches are served; classic fillings include cucumber, watercress, egg, and smoked salmon. Cakes, pastries, scones with clotted cream and jam(!), muffins and sweets may round out the fare. Afternoon tea is not the same as high tea. The latter, also called 'meat tea,' is a dinner meal traditionally associated with working class men and women - who also became devoted tea drinkers in the Victorian era.

-All About Tea Knowledge Cards

5 comments:

irishshammrocks said...

I love Nezka for giving me a bag of this. It brings a smile to my day! :)

Whyte Fairy said...

I love her too! I would never have tried it otherwise! :-D

Jill said...

i had this tea this weekend at nezka's! haha.. it was mighty delicious!

rmastonphoto said...

That tea looks amazing! I think I'll have to get my hands on it! Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I must try this sometime. I've never had a rose tea, though I've recently tried a Jasmine Green Tea.
Darlene