Friday, 13 January 2012

Dances of Sugarplum Fairies

And my Christmas present from my roommate was a trip to see The Nutcracker Ballet in Philadelphia! Yay! It is my favorite ballet. Growing up with a dancer mum and being a little ballerina, all I wanted in the world was to be able to dance the part of Clara! Unfortunately, my ballet company said "EVERYBODY does The Nutcracker. We'll do A Christmas Carol instead!" But then, at the Christmas party on the Navy base one year when I was very small I received my VERY OWN NUTCRACKER! Which I promptly drop and broke on the way to the car. So, naturally, my parents spent the next week calling me Clara. I was NOT amused.

Anyway, I no longer dance, but I still think that ballet is one of the most beautiful things in the world. Let me show you!

1955

1938 Margot Fonteyn in "Horoscope"


Louis Merante and Amalia Ferraris: 1860s


Swan Lake


1930 Swan Lake rehearsal at the Opera de Paris


Russian Ballerina Fjedorova


Violetta Elvin


1910


1973


Adelina Genee as Swanilda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the costume on the 1910 ballarina is breathtaking.
Darlene

Whyte Fairy said...

Isn't it though? I had such a tough time deciding which pictures would have to wait for a later post. I love them all!

Anonymous said...

I understand that as I really like the grace and beauty of Ballet.
Darlene

Natalia Heaney said...

The caption on the 1910 picture says (in the Cyrillic alphabet) “Tamara Karsavina”.:)

Whyte Fairy said...

Thank you Natalia! I really appreciate the translation! ^_^